Dada artist: Hannah Höch exploring the dark side Corneliu Baba randoms forgotten realities 90s flashback: heroin chic poem-photo-painting

 

Dec 11, 2013

poem-photo-painting


by Irving Penn

The Sunset of Romanticism

How beautiful a new sun is when it rises,
flashing out its greeting, like an explosion!
- Happy, whoever hails with sweet emotion
its descent, nobler than a dream, to our eyes!
I remember! I’ve seen all, flower, furrow, fountain,
swoon beneath its look, like a throbbing heart…
- Let’s run quickly, it’s late, towards the horizon,
to catch at least one slanting ray as it departs!
But I pursue the vanishing God in vain:
irresistible Night establishes its sway,
full of shudders, black, dismal, cold:
an odour of the tomb floats in the shadow,
at the swamp’s edge, feet faltering I go,
bruising damp slugs, and unexpected toads.

- Charles Baudelaire -

Broken Images (Decayed Sanatorium) 
by Cesare Bedogne

Groningen by Cesare Bedogne, 1996

Imitation

A dark unfathomed tide
Of interminable pride -
A mystery, and a dream,
Should my early life seem;
I say that dream was fraught
With a wild and waking thought
Of beings that have been,
Which my spirit hath not seen,
Had I let them pass me by,
With a dreaming eye!
Let none of earth inherit
That vision of my spirit;
Those thoughts I would control,
As a spell upon his soul:
For that bright hope at last
And that light time have past,
And my worldly rest hath gone
With a sigh as it passed on:
I care not though it perish
With a thought I then did cherish

- Edgar Allan Poe
-

David with the Head of Goliath c.1610
by Caravaggio
(the inner battle between Good & Evil)

No.8 (Black-Form paintings) by Mark Rothko, 1964

Untitled (Black on Grey) by Mark Rothko, 1969-70
(the Black on Grey paintings were Rothko's final series)

The Inquisitive Man’s Dream

A Nadar
Do you know, as I do, delicious sadness
and make others say of you: ‘Strange man!’
- I was dying. In my soul, singular illness,
desire and horror were mingled as one:
anguish and living hope, no factious bile.
The more the fatal sand ran out, the more
acute, delicious my torment: my heart entire
was tearing itself away from the world I saw.
I was like a child eager for the spectacle,
hating the curtain as one hates an obstacle…
at last the truth was chillingly revealed:
I’d died without surprise, dreadful morning
enveloped me. – Was this all there was to see?
The curtain had risen, and I was still waiting.

- Charles Baudelaire
-

by Zdzisław Beksiński

No comments:

Post a Comment